If you already signed a housing contract, and will not live on campus, submit a Contract Release Request. The process is the same for both the current residents and incoming students.

2024-25 Cancellations

In recognition of the delay in releasing financial aid information this year, HRC is extending the cancellation deadline for students to get a full refund of their housing prepayment to June 3.

If you apply for housing and then decide not to attend UA, cancel your housing application prior to June 3 to receive a $140 full refund on your prepayment; by June 17 to receive a partial refund of $100; or by July 1 to receive a partial refund of $50.

Incoming students who no longer plan to attend UA and returners who have applied for housing, but decide to live off campus, are eligible for release from their contract and to receive a refund if they meet the deadlines stipulated by the housing contract. Students who cancel prior to May 1 each year receive a $140 full refund on their prepayment or a $100 partial refund by canceling by June 1. Cancel by June 15 to receive $50. These cancellation requests are granted automatically and do not require committee approval if a returning student requests it before move in/start of the academic year, whichever comes first, or an incoming freshman requests cancellation because of attending a different university. The contract cancellation form for 2024/2025 will open on December 1.

Students who apply for housing for the fall semester sign a contract for the academic year. Students who apply for spring semester or a summer term sign a contract for that semester or term. Requests for cancellation during the academic year, after a student has moved in and/or classes have started, are granted only under certain circumstances and require committee review.

Current residents who will not be living on campus for spring semester for academic reasons (December graduation, spring co-op, study abroad, etc.) should submit a contract release request for spring when it becomes available beginning November 2.

After the Contract Release Committee reviews your request, HRC will notify you of the committee’s decision via your Crimson email account. For any student requesting contract release for any reason(s) other than not attending UA, allow up to four weeks after submitting the release request form.

Please note:

  • This form is a request submitted to the Contract Release Committee for review. Approval is not guaranteed unless the student is no longer going to attend UA.
  • The committee will not release students from their contracts at any time to move to owned or leased off-campus or sorority/fraternity housing.
  • If the contract release request is approved, all release fees, prorated housing charges, and other charges as stipulated by the housing contract apply. HRC charges a $500 cancellation fee to students still enrolled at UA. Students must satisfy all financial obligations to UA before HRC issues any refunds.
  • If a release request is denied, the student is responsible for fulfilling all terms and conditions (including payment, damage fees, etc.) of the contract.
  • Students who receive a contract release and move out after October 10, but prior to the opening of the halls for spring semester, are responsible for rent through the end of the fall semester. Students who receive a contract release and move out after March 1 are responsible for rent through the end of the spring semester.

Apply for Housing Contract Release

To access the contract release request form, students must go to their myHousing account. It may take up to four weeks to receive a response, depending on time of year and whether the request requires committee review.

A housing application may be reinstated after cancellation, but it’s not guaranteed. If you request for your application to be reinstated after cancellation, your application completion date will be updated to the date on which the reinstatement is processed (not the date/time the application was originally received).