To report emergency maintenance issues after business hours, contact your 24-hour community desk. If you encounter an emergency situation, contact UAPD at 205-348-5454.

For problems with A/C, heat, locks, and/or leaks, including problems with UA-owned appliances (dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, washer or dryer), contact the 24-hour front desk to connect with our on-call staff. The on-call staff members assist you in contacting appropriate staff members to help solve your facility issue. For all other maintenance requests enter a work order with specifics about the problem and where it is located.

Submit a work order


For washer/dryer problems, visit CSC Service Works. If you live in Bryce Lawn, submit a work order for your washer/dryer and Frigid Service and Sales will make the repairs. For refund or claim information, visit the general laundry information page.


According to the CDC, a little mold exists everywhere and exposure does not necessarily present any health problem. While no “mold-free” buildings exist, we work toward mold remediation. To address mold in your room/apartment, make an appointment with Christy Herron with Environment Health and Safety at 205-348-5939 or


For cable problems, visit the Xfinity On Campus support page for troubleshooting tips or to submit a support request.