Housing and Residential Communities will consider requests for special housing accommodation based on medical need, as long as the requests are submitted by the deadline and accompanied by documentation from the appropriate medical provider. We will accept requests after the deadline but limited space means there may be no way to fulfill a request. Students still need to complete their housing application through the myHousing portal. Only one medical accommodation request form is necessary per academic year.

Documentation Requirements

For all disability housing accommodation requests, HRC requires completion of the Medical Accommodation Form by the treating licensed clinical professional or health care provider thoroughly familiar with the student’s condition and functional limitations and/or restrictions. Family members through blood, marriage, or other legal arrangement cannot act as the professional or provider. Completion of the accommodation form is not necessary if a student’s disability is visible or obvious.

HRC is responsible for determining the acceptability of documentation and reserves the right to require additional information, as needed. HRC also reserves the option of seeking a second professional opinion regarding documentation submitted.

Recommended health care professionals who can provide medical diagnoses include physicians, nurse practitioners, surgeons, orthopedic or other specialists as appropriate.

Please note that requests for particular housing assignments/living environments based on a student’s preference, rather than need, will not be honored. For example, a student with ADHD or anxiety seeking a single room to serve as a quiet, undisturbed place to study likely represents a preference, but not a necessity. Campus offers multiple different locations for quiet study and therefore, our limited single/private room accommodations are reserved for individuals with documented and substantiated needs and for whom a standard housing assignment with a roommate is not viable.

Once completed and signed, submit the form to Assignment Associate Jim Barron by either faxing it to 205-348-7135 or mailing to Box 870399, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Only HRC will have access to and utilize this documentation for housing-specific accommodations.

The Office of Disability Services requires additional documentation to determine any necessary academic accommodations. Requests for accommodation through ODS are not the same and do not take the place of requests for accommodation in housing. 

Students requesting accommodation in housing due to a medical condition can make the same roommate requests as other students. Incoming freshmen can request one preferred roommate and upper class students can request up to three preferred roommates.


  • Spring semester:
    • December 1
  • Fall semester:
    • February 1 for returning students
    • April 1 for incoming freshmen

Appeals Process

UA recognizes that despite its good faith and reasonable efforts to provide fair accommodations to its policies, practices, and procedures for students with disabilities, students may ultimately disagree with the determination made by HRC. In the event of contention, the student may request a review by UA’s ADA Coordinator. The Vice President of Student Life will review all written appeals of the decision by the ADA coordinator to provide the final institutional review.

Assistance Animals

Animals other than fish are generally not permitted in any UA-owned, leased, or managed housing. Service dogs and approved Emotional Support Animals are not pets and are allowed in UA-owned, leased, or managed housing. Students with a disability who have a service dog must provide up-to-date vet records and go over and sign the Assistance Animal Agreement prior to the dog moving in. For more information, please contact Alicia Browne. Students who wish to request an ESA must contact Alicia Browne for information on the process and to receive the required paperwork. ESAs cannot be moved into campus housing prior to approval and the approval process can take up to 30 days.