The University of Alabama is committed to providing all of its students with a comprehensive educational experience. In 2006, UA established the Freshman Residency Program which requires that all first time, full-time students live on campus for the entirety of their first year.

Duration of Requirement

  • Students first enrolling in the Summer are required to live in the residence halls during the Summer, Fall, and Spring Semesters.
  • Students first enrolling in the Fall are required to live in the residence halls during the Fall and Spring Semesters.
  • Students first enrolling in the Spring are required to live in the residence halls during the Spring Semester.

Purpose of Requirement

Research shows that by living on campus during the first year of college, your student is more likely to:

  • Stay in college and graduate
  • Earn a higher than average grade point average (GPA)
  • Report a higher level of satisfaction with their undergraduate experience, particularly with friendships, faculty relations and college life
  • Get involved in extracurricular activities on campus

In accordance with the residency requirement, all full-time students must live on campus unless they meet at least one of the following criteria for exemption from the residency requirement:

  • Are living with lineal relatives (parent, grandparent) or legal guardian and commuting from their residence within a reasonable distance (60 miles) of UA.
  • Are living in Tuscaloosa property owned by a parent (proof of ownership must be provided).
  • Are 20 years of age by the beginning of the semester for which they are enrolled.
  • Are a military veteran.
  • Are married and/or have dependent children in residence.
  • Have a compelling individual circumstance (these requests will be reviewed by committee).

Freshman residency exemptions are not granted automatically. Each is considered as it is submitted. Generally, students will be notified whether the exemption is granted in 2-4 weeks (Processing time may be altered due to Holidays/University Closings).

Apply for Exemption

The housing exemption request form is available on First, the student logs in to myBama at On the Home tab, the right column is called “Currently on myBama.” Under the heading “Campus Housing,” you will see the housing application and the Housing Exemption Request Form as shown below:

Exemption Link in MyBama